Monday, June 1, 2009

The Alsace-Lorraine

Quiet Street : Bergheim, France in the Alsace-Lorraine

This weekend, I went to Basel, CH, to visit my friends, Di and Scott. On Sunday, they took me and our mutual friend, Dr Lala, to the Alsace-Lorraine. This is one of France's eastern wine regions and is picturesquely nestled between France and Germany. Throughout history it has changed hands numerous times as a result of feudal land grabs or world wars. The area is dotted with villages and towns lying at the foot of some beautiful wineries and vineyards. We went to Bergheim and Ribeauville, FR. In Bergheim, we ate a very delicious lunch at Wistub du Sommelier. Over the next week, I'll post pictures from both of these towns. Eventually, I'll also post some photos I took of Basel.

Oh! The best part of the weekend, besides hanging out with good friends and eating good food? Being able to speak a language I know and understand. Thank goodness for German!

Shutter and Wall Detail : Bergheim, FR

Photo copyright: Janet Kincaid, 05/09

No comments: