Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Viva la France!

Perfect Timing : Bastille Day Fireworks : Prevessin-Moens, FR

Today is Bastille Day in France. The holiday is to France what Independence Day is to the United States. Yesterday evening, the Village of Prevessin-Moëns held its Bastille Day fete which included fireworks around 10:00 at night on the grounds of a chateau in a park just across the street from my apartment complex.

Finale : Bastille Day Fireworks : Prevessin-Moens, FR

These aren't the fireworks in Paris,* by any means, nor are they as good as the ones I took last year on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., but they were fun nonetheless.** I'm told that in a few weeks, the Swiss will celebrate the creation of the Swiss Confederation and will put on a fireworks exhibit on the lake unlike any I've ever seen. I can't wait!


Photo copyright: Janet Kincaid, 07/09

* Taken by my friend, Virginia Jones, who is in Paris this summer. Be sure to check out her Paris blog. It's fabulous!
** I am sans tripod and was trying to shoot timed exposures while holding the camera. Eventually, I remembered I have a "fireworks" setting on my camera and used that. The quality improved a bit once I switched over. Still, not my best work.

No comments: