Friday, September 17, 2010

Fort l'Ecluse, Part II

Room and tunnel : Fort l'Ecluse, FR

Fort l'Ecluse was a French garrison from the 1800s until the 1950s. It extends from its base just above the Rhone River to the top of the mountain and was built by the French over a span of nearly 20 years in the early 1800s. If you've got the gumption, you can walk 1,000 steps from its base through the mountain and to the top. I made it 900 and then gave up (of course, at the time, I didn't know I only had 100 more steps to go to make it to the top. Had I known, I would have pressed on. That said, those 900 stairs left me in pain for nearly a week. Walking was a joke!)



Photo copyright: Janet M Kincaid, 9/10

1 comment:

Maya said...

It was an interesting place. These photos make me feel claustrophobic all over again!