Previously known simply as Cordes, the village of Cordes-sur-Ciel (Cordes in the Sky) changed its name in 1993 to reflect its position on a hill and often above the clouds that drift through the valley below. The town dates back to the 13th century (1222 ACE) and was a fortified town. Fine examples of 13th and 14th century architecture can be found in Cordes-sur-Ciel. More photos can be seen here.
Entrance to the fortified section of the town : Cordes-sur-Ciel, FR