Friday, June 8, 2012

Karlskirche and the Secession

Karlskirche : Vienna, AT


When I lived in Austria in the late 1980s/early 1990s, I spent nine months living in Vienna. We used to travel through Karlsplatz at least once a week, but I never made it inside the church. On this trip, I was determined to see things I hadn't seen when I was a missionary (I had three companions while I was in Vienna. The first was often exhausted and slept on our one day off; the second had been to Vienna as an exchange student the previous year and had already seen everything; and the third was from Europe and wanted to stay at home and write letters to her boyfriend. It was maddening.)


Karlsplatz U-bahn Station : Vienna, AT


One of the characteristics of the Karlsplatz area is the architecture style. Known as Vienna Secession and Jugendstil, it was started by artists Gustav Klimt, Max Kurzweil, and Joseph Maria Olbrich, among others. The movement brought French Impressionism to Austria and included recognition of greats, like Beethoven.


The Secession Museum : Vienna, AT


Photo copyright: Janet M Kincaid, 5/2012

No comments: