Saturday, June 15, 2013

Buranians

Model ship builder : Burano, IT

I don't know what you call people from Burano. Buranians? Anyway--just a few random photos of a couple folks who were going about their daily life while the rest of us were being tourists. The guy at the top was working on a balsa wood model boat. It was a rather impressive piece. He wasn't all that impressed with me taking his photo, though.

Holding court : Burano, IT

We stopped for ice cream and water at a little bar/restaurant that was next door to a bakery. This woman reminded me of my late maternal grandmother. She watched people coming and going and a few stopped to talk with her. Eventually, I popped into her shop and bought a bag of Venetian cookies.

Lacemaker : Burano, IT

Burano is known for its lacemaking. This was the last photo I took. As we were heading back to the ferry, I glanced inside an open door and saw this woman making lace. I snapped a quick picture, said "Grazie", and she waved me off dismissively! Sort of like the boat builder, I think she was unimpressed.

Photo copyright: Janet M Kincaid, 6/2013

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love all your photos Janet.
My fav of this serie is the one of the ship builder.