Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Le Salève

Le Salève--backdrop for Geneva, but situated in France

Geneva is situated along Lac Leman (Lake Geneva), the largest fresh water lake in Europe and enjoys a view of Mont Blanc (White Mountain), the highest peak in Europe, but it is the Salève that is most eye-catching. Ironically, the Salève is in France, but it looks like it's in Switzerland. (Mont Blanc is also in France, but that's neither here nor there right now, because it's the Salève I'm writing about.)

I enjoy geology when I get a chance to read up on it. The Salève is a fascinating geological range, but given my lack of ability to explain geology adequately, I'll leave it to those more learned than I. Here's a bit about it, starting with paragraph 127. This photo was taken from the 8th floor of the main building on the WHO campus. You can see part of Lake Geneva, the city of Geneva, and then Le Salève.

Photo copyright: Janet Kincaid, 06/09

No comments: