Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Holy Chapel

 The stained glass of Sainte-Chapelle : Paris, FR

One of the sites I missed during my first trip to Paris, but which Janeen and I were determined to see this trip, was Sainte-Chapelle (Eng.: The Holy Chapel). This beautiful chapel was built on the grounds of the royal palace (today the Palace of Justice) and was the private church of the kings of France. It was originally built to house relics purportedly from the life Christ that were brought to Paris during the reign of Louis IX (later Saint Louis). This beautiful little Gothic church has some of the most beautiful stained glass in all of Paris. To see more pictures, visit my Picasa Web Album.

Photo copyright: Janet M Kincaid, 1/10

5 comments:

Oakland Daily Photo said...

I love this place! It always makes me feel like I'm inside a kaleidoscope. We once attended a concert downstairs. The acoustics were wonderful. Thanks for the post.

Rob said...

Beautiful, the stained glass was inspirational. Odd though despite all the light pouring in it was incredibly dark in there for the camera's meter.

Maya said...

I'd like to see this place next time!

Eeyore said...

I loved this place too. Incredible windows all around.

Janet M Kincaid said...

Carolyn: That's a good description of it! Did you notice that each window had a different geometric shape? (My sister pointed that out to me.)

Rob: It was overcast the day we went, so the light was more muted. Still, the glass was gorgeous. I'd love to see it on a bright, sunny day.

Maya: We'll definitely go on our next trip.

Larry: Hear, hear!