Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I See the Moon...

 Full Moon : Ferney-Voltaire, FR

Sunday night, we had a spectacular full moon that rose above the remnants of the evening's storm clouds. I got out my new camera with the 18-200mm lens and my tripod. Fiddling with the aperture and shutter settings, I captured two very different photos. I've got a ways to go toward figuring out how to shoot the moon, so to speak. For my first attempt, though, I'm pretty pleased.

Full moon over Ferney : Ferney-Voltaire, FR

Looking at the moon always makes me think of one of my favorite songs by a little-known Virginia-based band. Formerly called Soy Hero, these folks now occasionally perform under the name Rodeo Clown. One of the guys in the band, William Perritt, is a former colleague of mine from back in the day when I worked in pulp and paper. This track is titled "I See the Moon."

I see the moon, the moon sees me
Up in the top of the old oak tree
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love

Over the mountains, over the sea
There’s where my heart is longing to be
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love


Photo copyright: Janet M Kincaid, 3/10
Lyrics copyright: Soy Hero/Rodeo Clown and William Perritt, 1995.

5 comments:

James said...

That is beautiful Janet!

Jilly said...

Two superb photos. I particularly love the second one - and the song.

Maya said...

Great shots and a lovely little song to accompany them!

Janet M Kincaid said...

James: Thanks!

Jilly: I like the second, too, although, I've got to figure out how to capture the detail of the moon (its shadows and craters) AND the beautiful clouds.

Maya: Thank you. I think you have that song on a CD I made you.

Rev. Coyote said...

Janet -- William Perritt here. First, nice shots! Second, thanks for the props on the music. Might interest you to know, Rodeo Clown has been defunct for a few years, while Soy Hero keeps rolling (playing once or twice a year).

"I See the Moon" is by Meredith Willson. We still cover that song.