Friday, August 17, 2012

Ahhhhhhh...

 On the water : Lac Leman, CH

For the last eight years that I lived in the States, I kayaked. I've paddled on Tomales Bay, Elkhorn Slough, the Potomac River, and a few other places. I have my own PFD (personal flotation device, aka life jacket) and I was hoping to eventually buy my own boat. Then I moved to Europe. I live near the largest fresh water lake in all of Western Europe--Lac Leman/Lake Geneva and have yet to get out on the water. Part of that was knowing/not knowing where to rent kayaks. 

Maya and Jo show us how it's done, rudderless : Lac Leman, CH

Yesterday evening, a group of us joined organizer Charlene Jannerfeldt of SHEzone for a sunset kayak on Lac Leman. We started at Vergenon near Chambesy and paddled all the way up to Tannay, just above Versoix. About 10 km/6 miles. It was great to be on the water again! Here are a couple of pictures.

 Jo and Maya with the tip of Mont Blanc in the background : Lac Leman, CH

And now I know where to rent kayaks, so no more excuses! (Although, I'm not 100% sure I'm a fan of late-in-the-day lake kayaking. Too much wake. I may have to see about doing early morning paddling... I wonder if I can convince Maya or if it will even be possible to get a boat that early in the day?)

Photo copyright: Janet M Kincaid, 08/2012

1 comment:

Maya said...

I'd like to find a better place to rent the kayaks. I wasn't so impressed with a rudderless option. :\