Sunday, June 7, 2009

Scenic Alsace

Scenic Alsace : Ribeauville, FR

Seems like around every corner and down each street in Ribeauville there's a photo op! I especially enjoyed the view of the castle on the hill just under the arch. One of the castles in the area (there were two that were noticeable on the hills above the villages) was once owned by Germany's Kaiser Wilhelm. Apparently, he used it as a hunting retreat. If I go back to this region before my stint is up, I'll stop and check it out.

Sweeping Silhouette : Ribeauville, FR

One of the things I often do when I'm in a new place is look up. It's amazing what you find when you glance beyond street level. When I lived in Austria, I use to see for-real chimney sweeps. When I saw the metal silhouette on this chimney, I just had to snap a picture.

Red, White, and Blue : Ribeauville, FR

Finally, no village is complete without a stork! This one had a brood of three or four chicks. Aside from the beautiful architecture, good shopping, and numerous restaurants, this was probably the most popular attraction!

Photo copyright: Janet Kincaid, 05/09



No comments: